Saturday, March 27, 2010

tu-lu's Gluten Free Bakery















So I stumbled across this cute little bakery in East Village on my way to Union Square. The sign said "gluten free" and I was intrigued to try my first gluten free cupcake. They had four varieties of mini cupcake when I went. Chocolate with chocolate frosting, Vanilla with chocolate frosting, Vanilla with strawberry frosting, and Chocolate with peanut butter frosting. I got 2 mini chocolate peanut butter and vanilla with chocolate frosting.




Flavor: 3.5 points - Not quite the flavor of their glutenous counterparts but still a good attempt. Not enough peanut butter flavor for me

Texture: 3.5 points - The peanut butter frosting was too buttery and soft and the chocolate frosting was a little too dense. Both cakes were decent but I think I'll stick with normal cupcakes since I can eat them.

Appearance: 4 points - They were very cute and neat. The frosting got a little messed up on the way home on the peanut butter ones because it was very, very soft. My guess is it's the high butter content.

Price: 3.5 points - The mini cupcakes were $1.25 each or 3 for $3.50 which is a little more expensive than most mini cupcakes which are usually around $1. In comparison to how much cupcake you get when you buy a regular cupcake, it's not the best deal but I like being able to try different flavors without having to commit to a whole cupcake.

TOTAL: 14.5 points out of 20 points

Bakery Info: 338 E11th St New York, NY 10003

No comments:

Post a Comment